Latest News

Travelling the road to recovery

Clinical psychologist Dr Rob Gordon delivered a special talk at a Community Meeting in early March about coping with stress. Dr Gordon has spent the past 30 years working with people affected by emergencies and disasters.

Watch Dr Gordon discuss strategies to cope with stress after an emergency, building trust and confidence in your community and learning to trust your own thinking and actions.

Commonly Asked Questions

There are a number of support services available. Free health checks are also available to the Wye River and Separation Creek community. Appointments can be made at the Lorne Medical Centre on (03) 5289 4333.  Ask for the free medical health check for Wye River and Separation Creek community members.

The Lorne Community Hospital is also providing additional counselling services to assist individuals and groups requiring more intensive support. Please call (03) 5289 4300 for more information about this service, or visit the Lorne Community Hospital website for more information.

Other support options include Lifeline on 131 114, beyondblue on 1300 224 636 or visit the Better Health Channel.

Financial assistance is available to eligible households impacted by the fires. Information regarding emergency assistance can be found at the Emergency Relief and Recovery website, or visit one of the One Stop Shops in Apollo Bay, Colac, Melbourne or Wye River. To date, the Department of Health and Human Services has provided over $248,000 in personal hardship assistance payments. Disaster Legal Help also provides free legal advice, assistance and referrals to people affected by disaster.

Returning residents should read resources specific to bushfire recovery. For information about emotional wellbeing visit the Better Health Channel or for information about returning home safely and clean-up advice visit the Department of Health and Human Services.

If you’re looking for answers based on your own unique circumstances, it is best to contact the Bushfire Recovery Information Centre on 03 5232 9400 (select 1).

You can register your interest via HelpOUT, a volunteer matching service managed by Volunteering Victoria to assist communities impacted by a disaster with relief and recovery activities.

At this stage, the best way to help is to donate money rather than goods. A Wye River and Separation Creek Community Appeal has been set up by the Spirit Foundation in support of the communities of Wye River and Separation Creek. Donations can be made via:

Bank: Bendigo Bank
Account Name: Spirit Foundation No. 4
BSB: 633 000
Account Number: 150 164 101

Donations can also be made to Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery by calling 1800 811 70 or via a secure Red Cross website. Monetary donations can also be made by registering with the Colac Otway Shire on 03 5232 9400 or via the Facebook page.

The Australian Registries of Births, Deaths and Marriages will replace certificates that were lost in the recent bushfires, free of charge. Call the Department of Justice and Regulation office in Geelong on 03 5215 8500 for forms and more information.

VicRoads can refund your remaining registration without administration fees for any fire-damaged vehicles, or replace your licence, learners permit or marine licence for free. Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 for more details.

Wellbeing News Archive

  • November 2016 (2)
  • October 2016 (6)
  • September 2016 (3)
  • July 2016 (1)
  • June 2016 (1)
  • May 2016 (1)
  • April 2016 (5)
  • March 2016 (4)
  • February 2016 (4)


Better Health Channel – www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au

Emergency Relief and Recovery Victoria – www.recovery.vic.gov.au

Insurance Council of Australia Taskforce – 1800 734 621

Lorne Community Hospital free councelling services – (03) 5289 4300

Disaster Legal Help – www.disasterlegalhelp.org.au or 1800 113 432

VicRoads – 13 11 71

Red Cross – www.redcross.org.au

Department of Justice and Regulation (BSW) – 03 5215 8500